7 Best Focus & Pomodoro Timers in 2023 (Free & Paid)
By Alex • Updated July 4, 2023
In today's world, distractions like emails, notifications, and meetings make it difficult to focus on one task at a time.
The Pomodoro Technique, or Tomato Timer, can help increase productivity. Created by Francesco Cirillo in the 1980s, this method breaks work into 25-minute intervals, called "pomodoros," with short breaks in between.
Digital tools now support this technique, helping to reduce stress and increase focus. This guide will introduce the seven best Tomato Timer tools to boost productivity in 2023.
Best Focus & Pomodoro Timers
What Makes A Great Focus Timer?
Before we dive into the list, let's first understand what exactly makes a focus timer stand out. A great focus timer should be:
- Intuitive and Easy to Use: The focus timer should be user-friendly. The last thing you want is to spend more time figuring out how to use the timer than you spend actually working.
- Customizable: The timer should allow you to adjust the work and break periods to suit your personal productivity rhythm. While the traditional Pomodoro technique recommends 25-minute work periods, you might find that longer or shorter periods work better for you.
- Distraction-Free: A good focus timer should have a clean, distraction-free interface. It should help you focus on your work, not distract you with unnecessary features or ads.
- Versatile: The timer should be compatible with multiple devices and platforms. This will allow you to use it wherever you're working, whether that's on your computer at the office, your smartphone on the go, or your tablet at home.
- Reporting Capabilities: While not essential, the ability to track your productivity over time can be beneficial. This can help you identify patterns, understand your productivity habits, and make necessary adjustments to improve your focus and efficiency.
Now that we understand what makes a great focus timer, let's dive into our top picks.
Pomofocus is a straightforward and user-friendly tool built to assist you in implementing the Pomodoro Technique. It's a simple, visually pleasing timer that lets you customize your work, short break, and long break durations.
Available On: Web, iOS, Android.
- Customizable timer settings
- Task list function for managing workloads
- Various ambient sounds to improve focus
- Ability to track work history
Our Take: Pomofocus's simplicity is its biggest strength. It provides a clean, distraction-free interface that makes it easy to focus on your work. The task list is a handy feature for managing your workload, and the ability to customize your timer settings allows you to adjust the tool to your personal productivity rhythm.
Forest takes a unique approach to the Pomodoro Technique by gamifying the process. Whenever you want to focus, you plant a virtual tree. If you successfully complete your work session without leaving the app, your tree grows. If you leave the app, your tree withers and dies.
Available On: iOS, Android, Chrome Extension.
- Gamified approach to the Pomodoro Technique
- Ability to earn coins and unlock new tree species
- Option to whitelist certain apps
- Allows you to collaborate with friends and compete in focus challenges
Our Take: Forest's gamified approach makes focusing on work more engaging and fun. The app's unique concept encourages you to stay focused to keep your virtual forest growing. It's a particularly good choice if you find yourself easily distracted by your phone or other apps while working.
Pomodor is a web-based, easy-to-use timer that sticks to the basics of the Pomodoro Technique. It features a start/stop button and a countdown display, with the countdown visible in the URL title bar so you can keep track of your time even if you navigate away from the page.
Available On: Web.
- Simple, no-frills interface
- Customizable work and break durations
- No account or download required
Our Take: Pomodor is the go-to choice if you're looking for a straightforward, uncomplicated timer. Its web-based nature means you can access it from anywhere without the need to download anything or create an account. The customization options are a nice touch, allowing you to adjust the work and break durations to your liking.
4. Focus To-Do
Focus To-Do combines the Pomodoro Technique with task management. You can create tasks, set due dates, and prioritize your work. When it's time to focus, you can start a Pomodoro timer right from your task list.
Available On: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Chrome Extension.
- Pomodoro timer with task management features
- Various alert sounds and white noise options
- Detailed reports and statistics
- Syncs across devices
Our Take: Focus To-Do is a great choice if you're looking for a tool that combines the Pomodoro Technique with task management features. The ability to start a timer right from your task list makes it easy to stay focused and productive. The detailed reports and statistics can also provide valuable insights into your productivity habits.
PomoDone is a robust timer that integrates with a wide range of project management and task management tools. This feature allows you to import tasks directly from your preferred productivity tool and apply the Pomodoro Technique without disrupting your existing workflow.
Available On: Web, Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android.
- Integrates with a wide range of productivity tools
- Customizable timer settings
- Detailed reports and analytics
- Available as a browser extension
Our Take: PomoDone stands out due to its ability to integrate with many productivity tools, making it a versatile choice for those already using a task or project management solution. Its customizable timer settings, detailed analytics, and browser extension make it a powerful tool for anyone looking to improve their focus and productivity.
Pomotodo is a comprehensive tool that combines the Pomodoro Technique with to-do list management. It allows you to create tasks, schedule them, and then use a Pomodoro timer to stay focused while working on them.
Available On: Web, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android.
- Combines Pomodoro timer with to-do list management
- Allows for task scheduling and prioritization
- Offers detailed reports and statistics
- Provides motivational quotes during breaks
Our Take: Pomotodo is an excellent tool for those who want to manage their tasks and focus on them using the Pomodoro Technique. Its to-do list management features are comprehensive, and the motivational quotes provided during breaks are a nice touch to keep you motivated.
MarinaraTimer is a web-based timer that offers three different modes: the traditional Pomodoro Technique, a custom timer, and a kitchen timer. Its simple, no-frills interface makes it easy to use, and you don't need to create an account to use it.
Available On: Web.
- Three different timer modes
- No account or download required
- Option to share timers with unique URLs
- Full-screen mode for fewer distractions
Our Take: MarinaraTimer is a great choice if you're looking for a simple, web-based timer. Its three different modes make it versatile, and the option to share timers with unique URLs is a unique feature that could be useful for teams or study groups.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that we've explored the top tomato timer apps available, let's answer a few common questions that arise when using these tools.
How long should a Pomodoro break be?
The traditional Pomodoro Technique suggests a 5-minute break after every 25-minute work session, and a longer 15-minute break after every four work sessions (or Pomodoros). However, this can be adjusted based on personal preference and the nature of the work.
Can I use the Pomodoro Technique for studying?
Absolutely! The Pomodoro Technique can be a great tool for improving focus and productivity while studying. The regular breaks can also help to improve retention and understanding of the material.
How many Pomodoros should I do in a day?
The number of Pomodoros you should aim for in a day depends on your workload and your personal productivity rhythm. However, a common recommendation is to aim for around 12 to 16 Pomodoros per day.
What if a task takes less than one Pomodoro?
If a task takes less than one Pomodoro, you can choose to group several small tasks together into one Pomodoro. Alternatively, you can use the remaining time to review your work, plan for the next task, or take a break if needed.
In conclusion, whether you're a seasoned professional looking to streamline your workflow or a student trying to optimize study time, a Tomato Timer can be an invaluable tool. The applications we've highlighted in this guide offer a variety of features to cater to different needs and preferences, making it easier than ever to adopt the Pomodoro Technique and boost your productivity. Happy focusing!
All Focus & Pomodoro Timers